Leek, Manchego & Chorizo Tart Recipe
It’s almost weekend again, so that means we finally got some time to bake! A while ago, I tried out a recipe for leek, manchego & chorizo tart that I found in the BBC Good Food magazine. We liked the savory tart so much, that I wanted to share the recipe with you guys as well!
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 30 mins | Chilling & Cooling Time: 1 hour 15 mins | Cook Time: 55 mins | Total: 2 hours 40 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: 22cm fluted tart tin | cling foil | baking beans | parchment paper | large frying pan | food processor
Ingredients for the Tart Base
- 250g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 140g cold, unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 – 4 tbsp ice-cold water
Ingredients for the Tart Filling
- 100g chorizo
- 2 large or 3 medium leeks
- 4 eggs
- 70ml double cream
- 60g manchego
- 25g chives
- 2 pinches smoked paprika
- optional: green salad, to serve
This tart might take quite some time to bake, but don’t be put off by that. Most of that time isn’t actually hands-on time, and the recipe itself is relatively easy to execute!
How to Bake a Savory Tart with Leek, Manchego & Chorizo
- Combine the flour, salt, and cubes of butter in a food processor and pulse everything to fine breadcrumbs. Then add in the egg yolks and 2 tbsp of ice-cold water and pulse again until the mixture clumps. Add up to 2 more tbsp of water if needed.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and tip the mixture onto it. Bring everything together into a disc with your hands, then wrap it tightly with cling foil, and chill it for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Just before you take the pastry out of the fridge, heat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C for a fan oven).
- After the pastry has chilled for 30 minutes, lightly flour your work surface again, and roll the pastry out into a 30cm round.
- Line your tart tin with the pastry, while leaving any excess overhanging the rim. Chill the pastry in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge, and cover it with parchment paper, then pour in your baking beans. Bake the pastry for 15 minutes in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, remove the beans parchment paper from the pastry, then bake it for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and leave it to cool. Leave the oven on to finish baking the tart later on.
- Finely chop your chorizo, and slice your leeks into 1cm rings.
- Heat your frying pan over a medium fire. Fry the chorizo for about 5 minutes until it begins to crisp up. Hold your pan at a slight angle to separate the chorizo bits from the fat, then transfer the fried chorizo to a bowl.
- Fry the leeks in the residual chorizo fat with a pinch of salt for about 10 to 15 minutes until they are softened. Add a pinch of paprika just at the end, then remove the pan from the heat and leave everything to cool for 15 minutes.
- Grate your manchego cheese, and finely slice your chives. Then whisk the eggs, double cream, most of the cheese (we’ll save some to sprinkle over the tart), chives, and smoked paprika together in a bowl.
- Spread the fried leeks and into the base of the tart, then distribute the fried chorizo on top of the leeks. Lastly, gently pour the egg mixture over the leeks & chorizo and finish it off by sprinkling the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake the tart in the center of the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes until it is golden-brown.
- Remove it from the oven and leave it to cool for 15 minutes before serving it.
- Serve your tart as is, or pair it with a green salad. Enjoy!