Tortilla De Patatas Recipe
Have you ever had Tortilla de Patatas before? If you like crispy & savory food, I definitely recommend you give it a try! This recipe only uses a couple of ingredients and will easily fill you up. The combination of the fluffy eggs, onions, crispy fried potatoes & chorizo are simple, yet delicious.
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins | Total: 35 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: small to medium frying pan | flat dinner plate (for flipping the omelette)
- 275g potato
- 55g chorizo
- 1 small onion
- 3 medium eggs
- fresh parsley to garnish
Basic Pantry Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- pepper and salt to taste
Unlike the Dutch tradition of having a simple homemade sandwich, I’d rather have a warm lunch every day. So whenever I’m at home around lunchtime I try and do just that. Since I’m a sucker for potatoes in any form or kind, I had to try this of course.
I first had this dish in Carihuela, Spain, and it’s hard to explain how a recipe with only a couple of ingredients can work so well flavor-wise. I can’t wait to try more traditional & regional versions next time I’m in Spain! I heard they serve one with a garlic Whiskey sauce in Seville, for example, yum! But until then, my own recipe will have to do. 🙂
How to prepare a Spanish Omelette
- Peel & dice your potatoes.
- Heat a frying pan with generous amount of extra virgin olive oil, and add the diced potatoes.
- Fry your potatoes until they’re cooked & crispy.
- In the meantime, cut your chorizo into quarters and chop your onion.
- Add the chorizo & onion to the frying pan and fry until the onion is nice and soft.
- Beat the eggs, and add salt & pepper to taste (be mindful with the salt due to the amount of added chorizo however).
- Add the egg mixture to the pan while gently mixing the potatoes and other ingredients around so that everything gets evenly coated & distributed.
- Gently shake the pan every now and then, so that the eggs on top cook more evenly.
- When the bottom of the tortilla seems cooked and crispy, and the top is mostly solid, place the flat dinner plate on top of the pan. Hold one hand on top of the plate, and flip the tortilla onto the plate. Place your pan back onto the stove and carefully slide the tortilla from the plate, back into the pan.
- Cook the tortilla until it’s fully cooked through.
- Carefully slide your tortilla from the pan, onto a plate & garnish it with fresh parsley, then serve. Buen provecho!