Baked Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Recipe
Since it is almost Easter, I wanted to make another easy, but tasty oven dish that you can easily make ahead! Just pop everything in the oven 20 minutes before eating, and you’re good to go.
And not only is it easy, but it’s also absolutely delicious too. I personally love the combination of cheese and shallots but paired with the creme fraiche and the apricot jam, it brings this dish to a whole other level.
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total: 30 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: roasting pan/ tray | small frying pan
- 6 slices of (Pullman loaf) bread
- 150g grated cheese
- 120g mozzarella cheese
- 100g creme fraiche
- 6 tbsp apricot jam (preferably low sugar)
- 2 shallots
- knob of unsalted butter
- vegetable oil
- fresh ground pepper
I love melted cheese, but sometimes the fattiness makes me slightly nauseous. What I really like about this recipe is that the sweet and sour tones from the apricot jam totally balance that out.
How to Bake Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in your Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F or 180 °C.
- Heat up a frying pan on low to medium heat, and finely dice your shallots in the meantime. Then add your shallots to the pan and fry them until they’ve become translucent. Once they’re done, turn of the heat and leave the fried shallots in the pan for now.
- Grease your roasting tray with some butter.
- Place half of the bread slices in the roasting tray, then sprinkle about 110g of the grated cheese over the slices. No need to be careful, all the cheese that falls down the side will make a nice & crispy cheese crust!
- Cut your mozzarella cheese into thin slices and distribute them among the slices of bread, on top of the grated cheese.
- Spread about a tablespoon of apricot jam on the remaining slices of bread, then place the jam-covered side right on top of the grated cheese & mozzarella.
- Add the creme fraiche, fried shallots, about half of the remaining grated cheese, and some ground pepper to a bowl and mix everything together with a spoon. Then distribute the mixture among the slices of bread, and spread it out on top of it. Finish it of by sprinkling the remaining grated cheese over it.
- Bake the grilled cheese sandwiches in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the roasting tray out of the oven and grind some more pepper over the dish. Serve & enjoy!