Loaded Smashed Potatoes with Bacon Bits & Blue Cheese Recipe
To me, this recipe is a perfect example of what Just Gimme Fries is about! Savory, delicious comfort food that is easy to make and doesn’t require too many ingredients or steps. But maybe most of all, it involves one of my personal favorites: crispy potatoes!
Serves: 2 – 3 | Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 45 mins | Total: 50 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: medium cooking pot | parchment paper | mug or bowl to smash the potatoes | small skillet | blender
Ingredients for the Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- 750g baby potatoes
- 50g bacon
- 15g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp salt
- handful fresh parsley
- ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Blue Cheese Dressing
- 15g blue cheese for a soft to mild taste or 25g soft blue cheese for a more prevalent blue cheese taste.
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp whole milk
If you enjoy the blue cheese dressing, I definitely recommend trying it with other dishes! I, for example, love this blue cheese dressing on my salads, or as a dip.
How to Cook Loaded Smashed Potatoes with Bacon Bits & Blue Cheese
- Wash your potatoes and cut off any dark spots if necessary, but leave the rest of the skin on.
- Transfer the potatoes to a pan and cover them with cold water. Add the salt, and bring the potatoes to a boil with the lid on.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220°C.
- Boil the potatoes for about 12 minutes or until they are tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- In the meantime, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then finely dice your garlic, and add it to a small bowl along with the butter and olive oil. Melt the butter in the microwave for a little bit if needed, and mix everything together.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain them and leave them to cool for a couple of minutes. Then use the bottom of a mug or bowl to smash your potatoes until their somewhat flat.
- Brush the surface of the smashed potatoes with your butter & oil mixture.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for around 30 minutes, until they become crispy & golden brown.
- In the meantime, cook your bacon in a pan over low heat until the bacon is crispy & golden brown. Then transfer it from the pan, and roughly chop it up once it has cooled down a bit.
- Prepare the blue cheese dressing by combining the blue cheese, mayonnaise and whole milk in a blender. Blend the mixture until it’s fairly smooth.
- Chop up your fresh parsley.
- Take the smashed potatoes out of the oven, and season them with some ground black pepper. Then drizzle over the blue cheese dressing and sprinkle the bacon bits and parsley over the dish.
- Serve & enjoy!