Crispy Tofu Loaded Cassava Crackers Recipe
Personally, I like crispy, savory, and slightly greasy snacks to accompany my drinks. Because I wanted to try and create something new, I basically came up with an Asian version of a nacho platter!
Originally I created this recipe for Home Made Chefs. But since that one is only in Dutch, I wanted to share a translated version with you guys here as well.
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 5 mins | Total: 25 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: frying pan | kitchen towel | mixing bowl
- 100g cassava crackers
- 300g firm tofu
- 2 spring onions
- 25g crispy fried onions
- 25g panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet Indonesian soy sauce)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 40g vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tsp sambal manis (sweet Indionesian chili paste)
For this recipe I used a lot of Indonesian flavors and ingredients that I’ve gotten very familiar with growing up with my Indonesian family on my mother’s side. This made it very easy to create a flavorful vegan dish which only takes relatively little time.
How to make your own Vegan Loaded Cassava Crackers
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain it well. Transfer it to a cutting board and gently pat it dry with a paper towel. Cut the tofu into thin slices of about 1/3 of an inch, then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces that fit will nicely on the cassava crackers.
- Grab a mixing bowl and create a marinade for the tofu. Add ketjap, sesame oil, minced garlic, and minced ginger into to bowl, then add the pieces of tofu. Stir carefully to make sure that all the tofu is covered with the marinade, then let the tofu sit for a couple of minutes.
- Cut the spring onion into thin slices.
- Mix the mayonaise and sambal together to create the sauce. If the sauce is too thick for you liking, you can always add a little bit of water.
- Sprinkle half of the panko breadcrumbs onto a big, flat plate. Then drain the marinade from the tofu (use a collander if needed), and transfer the tofu onto the panko. Then sprinkle the rest of the panko over the tofu, and carefully coat all of the tofu with a thin layer of breadcrumbs.
- Heat up your frying pan with a generous amonut of oil. When your oil is hot, add the tofu to the pan, and fry it for a couple of minutes on each side until the pieces get nice and crispy. If needed, fry the tofu in two seperate batches.
- Grab a bowl or a large plate and empty the bag of cassava crackers onto/ into it. Then proceed by distributing the fried tofu on top of the cassava crackers. Finalize the dish by pouring the sambal-mayonnaise, and scattering the spring onions, and crispy fried onions over it.
- It’s ready to serve. Enjoy your vegan drinking snack!