Cheesy Sweet Potatoes au Gratin Recipe
This cheesy side dish might very well become the star of the evening. With its creamy sauce, cheesy crust, and velvety smooth layers of sweet potatoes this both sweet and savory dish is a great addition to your Christmas dinner menu.
- cast-iron pan or oven-safe dish
- skillet or saucepan
- 4 sweet potatoes around 1400g
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 350 ml heavy cream
- 150 g grated Gruyere
- 20 g grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- black pepper
- 20 g roughly chopped pecans
How to make Sweet Potatoes au Gratin
- Wash and then peel your sweet potatoes.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F or 220°C.
- Set the mandoline to around 4 millimeters, and cut the sweet potatoes into thin slices.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices into a spiral in a cast-iron pan or oven-safe dish. You can use the smaller slices on the bottom if you want everything to look more even.
- Finely dice your shallot and garlic, and remove the thyme leaves from the stem. Toss everything in a pan with some butter for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream, half of the Gruyere, and all of the Parmesan. Stir everything together until the cheese has melted. Then taste, and season the sauce with the nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Let it simmer for a couple more minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour the sauce over the sliced sweet potatoes, into the pan. Bake for around 45 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the cheese on top is nicely golden-brown. Don't forget to add the chopped pecans around 5 minutes before the sweet potatoes are finished to toast them a little.
- If you want you can garnish the dish with a sprig of fresh thyme. Serve & enjoy!