Sweet Chili Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Are you ready to sink your teeth into some more comfort food? This fried chicken sandwich perfectly combines crispy, sweet, and savory goodness. The pieces of juicy, golden-brown buttermilk fried chicken are drizzled with sweet chili sauce and are accompanied by a lovely, crunchy, warm baguette.
You can prepare this delicious brunch recipe in under half an hour, so if you have some spare time, be sure to treat yourself to this homemade chicken sandwich!
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total: 25 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: large, deep frying pan (preferably with a lid) | baking rack or kitchen towel | 2 mixing bowls
Ingredients for the Chicken Sandwiches
- 120g chicken thigh fillet (boneless)
- 1 demi baguette (around 10 inch or 25 cm)
- 75ml buttermilk
- 80g all-purpose flour for the dry mixture
- 30g all-purpose flour for the batter
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- sunflower oil
- salt & pepper for seasoning the chicken
How to Make Fried Chicken Sandwiches, Drizzled with Sweet Chili Sauce
- Start by washing your chicken under cold running water, then pat it dry with some kitchen towel.
- Cut your chicken thigh fillet into bite-sized pieces, and season them with some ground salt & pepper.
- Prepare two mixing bowls with flour. 80g for the dry mix bowl, and 30g for the wet mix bowl.
- Add black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, and some additional ground salt & pepper to the wet mixture bowl.
- Then add the buttermilk to the bowl, and mix everything together until you get a smooth batter.
- Pour enough oil into your frying pan so that your chicken will be able to almost fully submerge, then cover the pan, and turn on the heat.
- In the meantime, batter your pieces of chicken. Start with a coating of dry flour, then go into the wet buttermilk mixture, and finish it off with another coating of dry flour.
- The oil is ready to start frying when it is 170°C (or 340 °F). If you don’t have a thermometer on hand, you can also check whether the oil is hot enough by dropping in a drop of the batter. If the batter sizzles and floats as soon as you drop it in, the oil is hot enough, but if the batter starts to turn golden-brown almost right away, you might want to turn the heat back down a bit.
- Carefully drop your pieces of chicken into the pan and fry them for around 10 minutes until they have crispy and golden-brown. Flip the pieces of chicken over around halfway through.
- Take the fried chicken out of the pan and let them drain the excess oil on a baking rack, or a paper towel lined plate.
- In the meantime you can prepare your baguette. Start by cutting the bread crosswise into two pieces. Then the two individual pieces lengthwise, but be sure to not cut them all the way through.
- Spread about a tablespoon of mayonnaise on each of the sandwiches, then add some lettuce.
- You can choose to either cover the pieces of fried chicken in sweet chili sauce before you put them in the baguette, or just drizzle some sweet chili sauce over the chicken while it’s already in the sandwich.
- The chicken sandwiches are ready to serve, enjoy!