Easy California Roll Rice Bowl Recipe
Sometimes you’re simply just not in the mood for a heavy meal. A lot of those times, we end up eating a rice bowl. One of our new go-to recipes is the one for the California Roll Rice Bowl. It’s fresh, healthy, colorful, and still packs a punch with its spicy sriracha sauce. And definitely worth mentioning: it’s very easy to make.
- rice cooker or regular pot
- small pot
- 200 g sushi rice
- 3 tbsp sushi vinegar
- 1 medium egg
- 100 g grated carrots
- 135 g edamame beans
- 30 g mayonnaise
- 4 tsp sriracha sauce
- seaweed flakes
How to make a simple California roll rice bowl
- Wash the rice twice with cold water.
- Add water to the rice. It should be about 1.2 part water to 1 part rice. Or as I learned from my Asian family: stick your finger in the pot, let your fingertip rest on top of the rice and fill the pot with water until the water reaches your first finger bone. Still works every time for me!
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or regular pot until fully cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, start preparing the toppings. Boil an egg for 6 – 8 minutes, depending on how soft you like your yolk. Put aside in cold water once it’s done cooking.
- If not already pre-cooked, cook your edamame beans according to the instructions.
- Cut the imitation crab once lengthwise and once crosswise.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the sriracha sauce. Add a bit of water if the consistency is too thick.
- Once the rice is done cooking, drain if there’s still water left. Add the sushi vinegar and mix well.
- Distribute the rice between two bowls.
- Add the toppings on top of the rice.
- Drizzle the sauce over the toppings.
- Sprinkle the seaweed flakes on top.
- Peel the cooked egg and cut it in half lengthwise. Place half an egg on top of each bowl.
- Serve & enjoy!