Ham & Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Waffles Recipe
The 24th of August is National Waffle Day! So I thought I would change things up a bit, and create a savory breakfast waffle recipe for you guys! I made a ham & cheese hash brown waffle with a fried egg on top, and it was absolutely delicious! Also, potatoes for breakfast! A dream come true if you ask me!
Serves: 1 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total: 20 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: mixing bowl | waffle iron | small frying pan
Ingredients Hash Brown Waffles
The exact quantities of this recipe may differ according to the size of your waffle iron.
- 150g shredded (frozen) hash browns
- 50g grated sharp cheese
- 45g gammon, in small bits
- 1/4 yellow onion (about 35g), finely chopped
- 2 medium eggs
- ground salt & pepper to taste
- knob of butter
You can easily make many variations on this recipe just by adding or replacing a couple of the ingredients. For a vegetarian version, for example, you could substitute the ham with spinach or sundried tomatoes. Feel free to experiment and get creative!
How to Make Hame & Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Waffles
- If needed, cut all of your ingredients, and whisk one of the eggs in a big mixing bowl. Then add the hash browns, grated cheese, gammon, chopped onion, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix everything together with a big spoon.
- Turn on your waffle iron, and wait until it’s hot. Then lightly grease the iron with some butter, and scoop the hash brown mix onto the iron. Evenly distribute the ingredients over the surface with the spoon, and close the iron.
- Cook the hash brown waffle until it’s crispy & golden brown.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium fire. Once the butter has fully melted, crack the second egg and fry it in the pan until the egg white is cooked. Add ground salt & pepper to taste.
- Once the hash brown waffle is done, transfer it to a plate, and put the fried egg on top. If preferred, you can finish the dish off by sprinkling some fresh herbs or additional grated cheese over it.
- Your ham & cheese hash brown waffles are ready to serve. Enjoy!