Blackberry & French Cheese Crostini Recipe
Looking for a festive bite to serve along with a nice glass of wine this holiday season? Give these crostini with thyme-blackberry spread, French cheese, and toasted chopped walnuts a try!
Makes: 12 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total: 20 mins
Cooking & Kitchen Supplies: small saucepan | small skillet | immersion blender
Ingredients for the Crostini
- 1 baguette, bake-off, about 250g
- 250g French cheese of your choice
- 200g frozen blackberries
- 40g walnuts
- 4 tsp fresh thyme
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ground pepper
- ground salt
You can choose whichever cheese you like best, but personally I find that strong-flavored, stinky cheese works especially well combined with the blackberry and walnuts.
I chose to use frozen blackberries for this recipe, since they weren’t in season at the moment, but you can also choose to substitute them with fresh ones if they do happen to be widely available.
How to Make Crostini with a Blackberry Spread, French Cheese & Toasted Walnuts
- Try to let the blackberries defrost a little ahead of time, or place them in a colander under running cold to medium-warm water for a couple of minutes.
- Preheat your oven according to the instructions of your baguette (usually around 430°F or 220°C).
- Heat up a small saucepan with the blackberries over low to medium heat. Pull the thyme leaves of the stem, and add them to the blackberries together with the sugar. Let everything simmer until the sugar has fully dissolved, stir every now and then.
- Let the cooked blackberries cool down for a bit, then blend everything together with the immersion blender until you have a smooth blackberry spread.
- Bake the baguette in the oven according to the instructions on the packaging.
- In the meantime, roughly chop up the walnuts and then roast them in a pan with some olive oil, and salt & pepper. Set them aside when they’re done.
- Slice the cheese into thick slices, while keeping the size of the bread in mind.
- Once the baguette is done, take it out of the oven. Cut the bread into slices once it’s cool enough to handle.
- Spread a layer of the blackberry spread onto each piece of bread, then place the cheese on top of the spread. Finish the crostini off by placing the roasted chopped walnuts on top.
- They’re ready to serve. Grab a glass of wine and enjoy!