Crispy Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe
Want to make delicious chicken like you order at Asian restaurants yourself at home? With this recipe you’ll be able to easily serve up delicious crispy pieces of chicken covered with a honey sesame sauce.
You can combine the honey sesame chicken with some white rice or noodles. Or if you really want to make it a full meal – and add some extra vegetables as well – you can also serve it with my Asian Cucumber & Peanut Salad.
- deep frying pan or wok
- big frying pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- paper towel
- skimmer optional
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 spring onion
- 400 g chicken thigh fillet
- 2 tbsp sesame seed
- sunflower oil
Ingredients for the Honey Sesame Chicken Batter
- 75 g all-purpose flour
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt & white pepper
Ingredients for the Honey Sesame Sauce
- 60 ml honey
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 100 ml water
How to Make Your Own Perfectly Crispy Honey Sesame Chicken
- Cut the chicken thigh fillet into bite-sized pieces.
- Press the garlic and cut the spring onion into wide, diagonal slices.
- Mix all the ingredients - except the water - for the honey sesame sauce together. Only add in a little water if needed to create a nice fluid mixture.
- Pour the buttermilk into 1 mixing bowl, and mix the flour and spices in the other bowl.
- Heat up the oil in a deep frying pan or wok. To be able to really fry the chicken you'll need a layer of about 2 inches (or 5cm) deep.
- While the oil is still heating up, you can start coating the chicken with the batter. Use both hands and coat a couple pieces of chicken at a time. First with the dry mixture, then the buttermilk, and once more with the dry mixture to create that nice and crispy crust on the chicken.
- Ideally, you want to fry the chicken in oil of around 350°F or 175°C. If you don't have a kitchen thermometer, you can also check whether the oil is ready by dropping a drop of the mixed batter into the oil. If it immediately starts to float and create bubbles the oil is hot, but if it immediately starts turning brown, your oil is probably too hot, and you might want to turn down your stove a bit first.
- Fry the chicken in 1 to 2 batches, depending on the size of your pan. Gently drop the chicken into the oil - for your own safety, please always let them drop away from you - or lower the chicken into the oil with your skimmer.
- Fry the chicken for around 5 to 7 minutes until the pieces turn golden brown. Turn them over every now and then if needed.
- Prepare a plate lined with paper towel. Scoop the fried chicken out of the pan, onto the plate and let the oil drain for a bit.
- In the meantime, heat up a frying pan with a little bit of oil. Then add the pressed garlic and spring onions and fry it for a short while. Add the honey sesame sauce mixture to the pan and let everything simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Add some of the remaining water if needed to create a smooth sauce.
- Add the fried chicken to the pan with the sauce and combine the ingredients until the chicken is covered with the honey sesame sauce.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds over the dish and serve immediately to ensure that the chicken stays nice and crispy. Enjoy!