Croissant Bake with Cheese & Prosciutto Recipe
This savory croissant bake is great for brunch & lunch. You can easily prepare most of the dish beforehand and just pop it in the oven to finish baking. Perfect if you want to serve your guests a hearty & cheesy lunch, but don’t want to spend all of your time in the kitchen!
- small frying pan
- oven safe dish
- tin foil
- 4 store-bought croissants either fresh or bake-off
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 125 ml whole cream
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 85 g brie
- 40 g prosciutto
- 40 g grated cheese
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil + additional for greasing the pan
- salt & pepper to taste
How to make a croissant bake with cheese & prosciutto
- If not already prebaked, preheat the oven to bake the croissants according to the instructions.
- Meanwhile, dice the shallots, garlic, and thyme. Set 1 / 3 of the thyme for garnishing later on.
- Heat up a pan with some olive oil and add the shallots. Cook the shallots until they’re soft and add the garlic and thyme. Cook for a couple more minutes and set aside to cool down.
- By now your oven is probably the right temperature. Bake the croissants according to the instructions.
- Cut the brie into cubes and put them aside.
- Mix the cream and eggs in a large bowl. Add the mustard, salt & pepper, cooked shallots, garlic & thyme into the bowl and mix again.
- Once they’re done baking, cut the croissants crosswise into 2 – 3 pieces. Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F for baking the entire dish later on.
- Add the brie, pieces of croissant, and half of the grated cheese to the bowl and mix carefully. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and mix every now and then to make sure the croissant absorbs as much of the liquid as possible.
- Grease an oven dish with olive oil and pour the croissant mix into it. If needed, rearrange the ingredients for even distribution.
- Slice the slices of prosciutto in half, crosswise. Then fold the prosciutto into rose-like shapes and put them into the crevices between the croissant pieces.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and the leftover thyme and grated cheese on top of the dish. Cover the dish with tin foil.
- Bake the dish for about 25 minutes until cooked on the inside.
- After 25 minutes check the dish and remove the tin foil. Bake for another 10 minutes without the tin foil for a nice & crispy top layer.
- Take the dish out of the oven & serve. Enjoy!